Sight Translation & Consecutive
Eight-module workshop, taught in English and Spanish, covers theory, consecutive interpreting and note-taking skills development, and interpretation pitfalls.
This eight-module workshop, taught in English and Spanish, covers theory, consecutive interpreting and note-taking skills development, as well as interpretation pitfalls. The second part of the course includes sight translation skill-building techniques and a good amount of practice. Diversified materials are used to expose students to different settings, namely social services, education, legal, and medical.
- Interpret proceedings, interviews or medical appointments in the consecutive mode applying advanced note-taking skills.
- Reformulate the source message in the target language to render an idiomatic and natural interpretation
- Use note-taking skills when appropriate
- Interpret in the consecutive mode without note-taking by using:
- Narrative prompts
- Visual prompts
- Structural and logical prompts
- Perform sight translation of varied materials from English and into Spanish
Module I – Posture and delivery for consecutive interpreting & Consecutive from memory
Module II – Text analysis & Note-taking
Module III – Reformulation
Module IV – Protocol & digitally assisted consecutive mode
Module V – Sight translation skill building techniques
Module VI – Sight translation skills practice (summarization, active, reading, units of meaning, textual analysis)
Module VII – Interpretation pitfalls
Module VIII – Practice consecutive mode and sight translation